Nurse Practitioner Subsequent Approval or Change to Practice
Welcome to the North Carolina Board of Nursing Online Application for Nurse Practitioner Subsequent Approval or Change to Practice.
Subsequent application includes:
- Previously approved in NC and not currently active
- Practice change (Have no other primary supervising physician in state)
- Change of primary supervising physician within already approved practice (current approved site)
- Same practice with additional supervising physician within NC
- Reinstatement of Lapsed Nurse Practitioner Approval
- Additional practice with additional primary supervising physician within NC
- Volunteer approval to practice - previously approved in NC
Subsequent applications will be processed administratively by staff of the NC Board of Nursing in a timely manner. Administrative approval is not automatic. If necessary an application will be referred to either or both Boards for further review and approval.
If you wish to receive approval to practice for more than one physician, you may use only one online subsequent application. To add more than one physician when you are in the online subsequent application, click on "Add practice/MD."
If you attempt to add a physician by entering a new online subsequent application each time, a processing error will occur which will delay your approval to practice.
Additional Practice Sites
If you have additional practice sites to be listed following the Board’s acknowledgment of your approval to practice application, you can submit this information online or in writing. If you submit in writing, list the additional sites including the practice name, address and the name of the primary supervising physician listed on your original approval to practice application who will supervise your medical acts at the additional site(s).
What is the Turn-Around Time?
Please allow 15 business days for receipt and review of your application. If additional information is required, you will be notified in writing. If an email address was provided, you will receive an email confirmation verifying receipt of application. Once all materials have been received, you will be mailed written confirmation of administrative approval.
You may check the Nurse Practitioner Status Check web here.
Once your approval to practice is complete, you may go to “Verify License” on NCBON home page to view your approval.
Due to the large volume of applications, we are unable to return status check inquiries.
NOTE: This application will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity.
Before you continue with the North Carolina Nurse Practitioner on-line application process, you must have the following:
- Click here for information needed to complete your application.
- A printer. You will be required to print forms at the end of the application process.
- A valid credit or debit card - MasterCard or Visa.
PLEASE BE SURE YOU INDICATE THE CORRECT STATUS OF VOLUNTEER POSITION OR NON-VOLUNTEER POSITION FOR EACH APPROVAL.
Nurse Practitioner Subsequent Approval to Practice Fee is:
|| per physician for non-volunteer status or
|| per physician for volunteer status (non-paid position)
All fees are non-refundable.
- Popup blockers disabled or temporarily allow popups for this application.
- Browser set to accept cookies.
- Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 5.0 or higher) to view and print the necessary forms.
If you do not complete the application, you will be given the opportunity to save the application and return at a later time. Your application will be saved for 60 days.